Rising Sun News
Ohio County Recycle Center Taking Household Hazardous Waste August 15
Posted by Bryce Kendrick on August 11, 2020
On selected dates through September, the Ohio County Recycle Center (1432 Barbour Way, Rising Sun) is taking “difficult disposal” items for free. On Saturday, August 15 from 11 am to 1 pm, the center will accept (at no charge) household hazardous waste including: cleaning chemicals, oil based paints, stains, pesticides, herbicides, acids, fluorescent tubes/bulbs, flammables and mercury.
The final difficult disposal dates on September 18-19 will be for tires (limit four).
The Ohio County Recycle Center is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1 to 6 pm and Saturday from 8 am to noon for the folowing accepted recyclable items:
- Paper products- corrugated cardboard, paperboard, newspaper, mixed paper and magazines.
- Plastic bags- grocery bags, shrink wrap, dry cleaner bags and drink carton wraps.
- #1 PETE plastic bottles- soda and water bottles.
- #2 HDPE plastic bottles and containers- milk and juice jugs, detergent and bleach containers.
- Batteries- car and rechargeable batteries but no alkaline.
- Aluminum cans- soft drink and beer cans.
- Steel and tin cans- food, soup and vegetable cans.
- Glass bottles- clear, green and brown bottles.
- Fluorescent bulbs- $1 fee per bulb.
In general, paper items should be kept dry and bundled with string (not bagged). All plastics, aluminum/steel/tin cans and glass should be clean. Car batteries must not be cracked and the cells must be capped.
Please do not leave items after hours. If you have any questions, please contact the center at 812-801-9037.